Why Is Gum Care Necessary?Your gums hold your teeth in place, which makes it essential to keep them healthy. You must keep your gums healthy if you don’t want to lose your teeth. In addition, if your gums are not healthy, you can get gum disease known as periodontitis. Gum disease is often painless and hard to detect, but it is a serious problem. It will damage the soft tissue and, in time, destroy the bone that supports your teeth. This will lead to teeth loosening and, even worse, tooth loss.
Gum Health TipsWhen you notice that your gums are bleeding and your breath smells bad, you usually have a problem. This can lead to red or swollen gums, tooth loss, and erosion from the gum to the tooth. Here are five tips for improving your gum’s overall health:
1. Floss DailyIt is common for tiny food particles to remain behind in your mouth, even after careful brushing. This can significantly impact your gums and destroy your oral health. To protect your gums, you should floss daily. Flossing is a great way to keep your mouth clean. Flossing also helps you get rid of the extra food particles that are harder for your toothbrush to reach.
2. Brush Your Teeth at Least Twice DailyBrushing your teeth after every meal is recommended to remove unnecessary bacteria. However, if you cannot, brushing twice daily will help your teeth and gums remain healthy. Brushing your teeth is crucial to helping you recover any minor damages that might have been caused to your teeth. Your gum health will improve as you regularly brush your teeth. All the oral hygiene tips you follow will be useless if you do not brush your teeth, floss, and use mouthwash.
3. Use Fluoride ToothpasteAnother crucial tip that will massively improve your oral and gum health is the use of fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride toothpaste works great in reducing cavities and gingivitis. Fluoride toothpaste also protects your teeth from forming cavities and prevents decay. Fluoride treatments and toothpaste are also important to maintaining your gums and teeth.
4. Use a Therapeutic MouthwashMany people don’t use mouthwash. It is usually seen as an accessory rather than a necessity. However, mouthwash is necessary to improve your gum’s health. Mouthwashes play a great role in helping clean bacteria from your teeth that a toothbrush or floss cannot reach. While some people brush first, others like to use their mouthwash first. There is no correct order—make sure you floss, brush, and use mouthwash to improve your gum health.
5. Get Regular CleaningsBrushing, flossing, and using mouthwash are crucial to keeping your teeth clean and healthy. However, it would be best to get regular cleanings at your dentist’s office to rid your mouth of excess bacteria. In addition to preventing gum disease, teeth cleaning can prevent issues such as bone loss and cardiovascular disease. In addition, your dentist can discover oral cancer during cleanings.
Benefits of Maintaining Healthy GumsMaintaining healthy gums can keep your teeth in place. It also keeps your mouth free from unwanted bacteria and disease. Not only does having a clean mouth improve your oral health, but it can also improve your overall well-being. Some significant benefits of maintaining healthy gums include:
- Improved self-confidence
- Better oral health
- Prevents bad breath
- Resistant to gum disease and tooth decay