Common Kinds of Dental AnxietyAnxiety is excessive worry. It can have real, physical effects on the body regardless of whether or not individuals ‘know’ they should worry. People with anxiety typically experience the following:
- A sudden increase in heartbeat or palpitations
- Low blood pressure
- Crying, shaking, or other visible signs of panic
- Uncharacteristic withdrawal
Sedation Dentistry PracticeThere are several methods of sedation dentists at Supreme Dentistry in Houston, TX has to choose from. However, the most common kinds include:
- Nitrous Oxide: Often called ‘laughing gas,’ perhaps misleadingly, nitrous oxide calms, and relaxes clients. Their pain tolerance increases, their tension and anxiety lower, and clients routinely lose their sense of time experiencing their dental procedure to have taken a shorter amount of time than it did. Nitrous oxide is safe, fast-acting, and its effects wear off in a short amount of time.
- Conscious Oral Sedation: Rather than inhaling a gas like nitrous oxide, this method usually consists of taking one or two pills before a procedure. Depending on the sedative your dentist uses, this kind of sedation typically puts clients into a relaxed, semi-conscious state. Make sure to let your dentist know any medications you have taken so to avoid unwanted interactions.
- IV Sedation: Perhaps the rarest of sedation used for dental anxiety. IV or intravenous sedation is when the sedative drug is delivered via an individual’s vein in a steady, controlled injection. If a client has issues with needles, this is not a route to go. However, it is fast-acting. Thus, it is usually only used for more advanced or complicated procedures, so a client is entirely unconscious.
Supreme Dentistry ServicesOvercoming your dental anxiety takes time. Fortunately, here at Supreme Dentistry, we offer the support you need to get past your dental anxiety and make sure your oral health is top-notch. Through our sedation dentistry practice in Houston, Texas, you or your child can get the oral care necessary while patiently overcoming your dental anxiety. We provide a range of services you can take advantage of such as:
- Dental fillings
- Dental cleanings
- Teeth whitening
- Dental crowns
- Dental implants