If you’re looking for options to fix your smile, your dentist may recommend porcelain veneer services
. Dental veneers are permanent coverings bonded to the front of your teeth. Porcelain veneers are one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures because they offer a conservative yet effective way to improve your smile. While porcelain veneers have many health and dental benefits, they also come with drawbacks and are not the right choice for everyone. A dental professional from Supreme Dentistry can give you more insight into the pros and cons of dental veneers in your situation. If you’re considering porcelain veneers, you should know a few things.
What are Dental Veneers?
A dental veneer is a thin layer of material placed in front of your tooth and bonded with dental cement. It can cover chips, cracks, and stains in teeth and help give you an even, white smile. Porcelain is often used for veneers because of its natural look and durability, though veneers with other materials, like composite resin, may be less expensive. Before your dentist recommends veneers, they may evaluate your front and back teeth to make sure all your teeth are healthy.
Benefits of Dental Veneers
- Fix cosmetic tooth imperfections – Veneers can cover stains, hide cracks and gaps, and reshape misshapen or crooked teeth. Sometimes, veneers can be a permanent alternative to teeth whitening or crowns.
- Look natural – When a professional cosmetic dentist applies your veneers, they’ll blend in with the rest of your teeth. Porcelain veneers resemble enamel, the tooth’s natural covering. People who see your smile may never know you have veneers.
- Stain resistant – One of the professional benefits of porcelain veneers is that their smooth ceramic surface resists permanent stains. Unlike natural teeth, your veneers won’t become discolored from coffee, cigarette stains, or other marks.
- Preserve your enamel – Tooth enamel has minerals that are essential to the health of your teeth, and lost enamel won’t grow back. For teeth that have lost enamel, veneers can protect the rest of the tooth.
- Longevity – Porcelain veneers can last up to 15 years.
- Quick to install – Compared to other dental restorations like crowns, veneers can be applied and completed in as little as two dental visits.
- Easy to maintain – Once you have veneers, you care for them just like you care for the rest of your teeth by brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups.
Cons of Dental Veneers
- Veneers are irreversible – Your dentist needs to remove some enamel from your teeth before installing the veneers, causing permanent changes to your teeth.
- Veneers need replacement – Though porcelain veneers can last up to 15 or even 20 years, they don’t last forever. You’ll eventually need to replace them or pick a different restoration technique.
- Veneers are costly – The price of veneers varies. However, a typical range is between $1,000 to $1,500 for each veneer. If you need multiple veneers, this price can add up quickly. Since veneers are cosmetic, not all insurance plans will cover them.
- Veneers can chip and crack – If you grind your teeth or eat hard foods, porcelain veneers may chip or break.
- Veneers can increase your tooth sensitivity – Teeth are sometimes more sensitive to heat and cold for a few weeks after veneers are installed.
Veneers don’t work on badly damaged teeth. Your dentist may not recommend veneers for teeth with decay, large fillings, gum disease, or other significant damage. Dental crowns may be a better option. These are just a few of the pros and cons of dental veneers. Schedule a consultation with Supreme Dentistry to better understand your options.
Professional Porcelain Veneers at Supreme Dentistry
Not sure if veneers are right for you? Comprehending the pros and cons of dental veneers can help you decide. At our high-end office, we offer cosmetic dentistry with proven positive results. Aside from porcelain veneers, our cosmetic services include teeth whitening, dental implants, and Invisalign. Our dentists also provide regular check-ups to keep your teeth healthy all year. To learn more about dental veneers and other ways to perfect your smile, call us at 844.966.2333