If you’re dreading getting a tooth pulled, you’re not alone. Most people feel some trepidation as they prepare to have a tooth removed. Fortunately, most simple extractions today are safe and relatively painless.
If you are about to have a tooth extracted, you may also be worried about the recovery process’s length and extremity. The good news is that you can do some simple things to get started towards a speedy dental extraction recovery. Even better, some dental experts know exactly what you need to do to limit your discomfort.
Supreme Dentistry is a high-end dental practice fully equipped to make you calm and comfortable as you prepare for your procedure and care after your tooth extraction
. From beginning to end, our highly trained staff will make the entire process as pleasant as possible. Find out how to speed up dental extraction recovery by calling 844.966.2333
What Are the Most Frequent Causes of Dental Extractions?
There are a variety of reasons why someone may lose their permanent teeth. The most common reasons for adult tooth loss are:
- Irreparable tooth decay
- Periodontal disease
- Tooth fracture
- A result of injury
Although the thought of having a tooth extracted may be riveting and cause you to avoid seeking help from a dentist, know that not all visits to the dentist are horrifying. At Supreme Dentistry, we do whatever we can to make you feel comfortable and at ease.
3 Tips to Speed Up Your Dental Extraction Recovery
Before discussing three tips that will speed up your recovery following your surgical extraction, it’s worth mentioning the single biggest factor that will help you properly and quickly recover: rest.
Often overlooked, rest is essential to your mouth’s return to health. Avoid work or any other physical activity the day your tooth is extracted. Focus on staying as still as you can and keep your head elevated while sleeping.
Here are some other ways you can ensure a full recovery from your dental extraction:
- Drink plenty of liquids: While room temperature drinks are not inherently appealing, they can be a lifesaver following a tooth’s extraction. You need to stay hydrated to prevent the wound inside your mouth from drying out. When enough time has passed and you feel ready to eat something, eat soft and relatively sugar-free foods. Yogurt is an excellent food to eat after you’ve had a tooth removed, as are fruit smoothies.
- Use an ice pack: You can expect a bit of swelling after your tooth has been extracted. While this may add to your overall discomfort, it is completely normal. You can, however, reduce the swelling by applying an ice pack to the side of the face where your surgery occurred. For the best results, keep the ice applied continuously whenever you are awake.
- Rinse with a saline solution: Keeping the inside of your mouth sterile is another way to hasten your recovery following dental extraction. Roughly twelve hours after the procedure, begin rinsing your mouth four times a day using warm salted water. One teaspoon of salt should suffice. Be sure to rinse as gently as you can while fighting the urge to spit.
What Are Some Things That Will Slow Down Your Dental Extraction Recovery?
As with all surgeries, there are things you should avoid doing if you want a rapid recovery:
- Don’t smoke, chew tobacco, or drink alcohol.
- Don’t drink with a straw.
- Avoid lollipops or other similar candies.
- Don’t bite down on hard foods or candy.
- Don’t drink hot beverages.
Although they may seem simple, following these simple guidelines will get you on the road to recovery faster and, hopefully, pain-free.
Discover How Supreme Dentistry Can Make Your Entire Tooth Extraction Experience a Comfortable One
The very thought of enduring a dental extraction can seem like a scary thing. If you are on the verge of having one done, you may be concerned about what happens after leaving the chair. Fortunately, there are specific things you can do to increase the likelihood of a speedy recovery. Even better, we here at Supreme Dentistry are prepared to walk you through the entire process.
In addition to properly preparing you for the before, during, and after stages of your tooth extraction, we provide all the dental care services you need. From general dental care checkups to cosmetic procedures (including implants, Invisalign, and whitening), our gentle and caring team utilizes the finest modern technology available to meet patients’ dental needs.
To learn more about our services and discuss your dental extraction, reach out to us using our online form or call 844.966.2333