What Are Dental Sealants?Dental sealants are plastic coverings placed over the surface of premolars in young children and molars in adolescents with adult teeth. Applying dental sealants for children is vital on the molars because these teeth often get cavities as it is a space that is hard for children to reach. Bonded on top of the tooth, dental sealants protect your teeth from tooth decay and cavities. Application for dental sealants can be applied quickly and painlessly by a dentist or hygienist.
Why Are Dental Sealants Important?According to the CDC’s Vital Signs Report, sealants prevent 80 percent of cavities in school-age children. But here’s more important information: an estimated 60 percent of children between the ages of 6 to 11 who do not get sealants are almost three times as likely to get cavities. A recent study also found that children with poor oral hygiene have high rates of school absenteeism and lower academic achievement. Untreated cavities often lead to infections that cause problems with eating, speaking, playing, and even the ability to learn. When we think about the disadvantages of cavities–poor oral health, the possibility of obvious tooth decay, as well as pain–children must get dental sealants.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Sealants for Kids?Dentists often recommend that children and even young adults get sealants because it is an excellent cavity prevention method. Here are some benefits to dental sealants for kids:
- Long-lasting impact. Dental sealants often last between five and ten years. Dentists often recommend dental sealants for children because they will prevent them from getting cavities. Dental sealants for kids decrease the need for cavity fillings as their pre, and permanent molars are protected.
- Easy, Painless Application. While many other dental procedures can be painful, sealant application is not. In a matter of minutes, a dentist can painlessly apply sealants.
- Improved Support for Oral Hygiene. If you want to protect your children’s teeth from decay, sealants can help. Sealants protect your children’s teeth from tiny food particles that get caught in between teeth. With dental sealants, you are reducing the risk of cavities forming by 75 percent.
- Inexpensive. Paying for cavity fillings and root canals is expensive. Sealants protect your teeth from decay, reducing your dental costs. In addition, the cost to repair sealants is inexpensive.
- Easy to Maintain. Dental sealants are durable. The hardest candies and even normal chewing will not easily impact sealants. However, the temperature of food, a child’s chewing habits, and diet can cause wear and tear to sealants.
- At your child’s routine check-up, your dentist or hygienist will check for sealants to be repaired.
- Covered by Insurance. Applying dental sealants is a preventative procedure. Many insurance carriers cover the cost of dental sealants for kids.