Braces and aligners are the two methods used by orthodontists to straighten and align teeth. Invisalign clear aligners
are a popular form of teeth straightening because of their less noticeable appearance, while braces are less popular but perfect for people with complex tooth conditions.
At Supreme Dentistry, we provide many options for straightening your teeth. If you are interested in understanding your options, contact us at 844.966.2333
and schedule your consultation.
Why Is Teeth Straightening So Important?
In addition to having a wide, toothy grin, straight teeth enhance our health in the following ways:
- Avoid tooth breakage: Overbites can cause teeth to scrape against each other and, in time, break. Straightened teeth reduce tooth breakage.
- Clear communication: Did you know that misaligned teeth can lead you to mispronounce words? It’s absolutely true.
- Improved oral hygiene: Crooked and misaligned teeth allow food particles to get stuck between teeth which can cause tooth decay and gum infections. With straightened teeth, you will be able to brush and floss your teeth correctly.
- Say goodbye to morning headaches: Believe it or not, crowded teeth keep your airways unrestricted and allow you to have a restful sleep.
What Are Braces?
Braces are brackets and wires an orthodontist will attach to your teeth. The purpose? To move them into their correct position. In addition to straightening our teeth, braces allow our upper and lower jaws to be aligned. Braces are still used for people with complex teeth conditions such as overcrowding.
There are many reasons orthodontists would recommend braces to straighten your teeth. The reasons include:
- Anyone needing teeth straightening can use braces. Invisalign is only recommended for people who need just a little straightening.
- There are several types of braces, such as traditional metal, clear, and porcelain.
- Since braces cannot be removed, you will get your desired results. With aligners, you can lose them or forget to wear them, which will change the alignment of your teeth over time.
The disadvantages of braces include:
- It’s not easy to clean your teeth. It is important to floss and brush throughout the day to avoid issues with oral hygiene.
- You cannot eat sticky or hard food as it can become stuck in your braces
- Braces can cause discomfort inside your mouth as the brackets can rub on your cheeks and lips
- Not as cosmetically appealing as aligners
- Frequent dental visits to adjust the tightness of the braces
- It takes a long time to achieve straightened teeth
What Are Aligners?
Aligners are another method of teeth straightening. Also known as Invisalign, custom-made molds of your teeth are made. As your teeth straighten into their correct positions, the aligner will grip your teeth so that they can move correctly.
There are many advantages to choosing clear aligners, including:
- Comfortable: Aligners are made of clear plastic. As a result of its clear texture, aligners are more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Easy to remove: You can eat food with ease without worrying particles being stuck in your aligners.
- Easy to clean: Since you can remove your aligners, you can easily brush and floss your teeth.
- Fewer orthodontist visits: With aligners, your orthodontist will be able to pre-plan your teeth’ movement and develop molds, making your appointments less frequent.
- Natural appearance: Since Invisalign is made of clear plastic, they are not as noticeable as traditional braces.
There are also notable disadvantages to aligners, including:
- Aligners are more expensive than braces
- Not recommended for people with severe overcrowding
- You must wear your aligners for at least 22 hours per day. Yes, they are easy to remove for cleaning or eating, but you have to remember to put them back on to get the results you desire.
Learn More About Braces vs. Aligners at Supreme Dentistry
If you are on the fence and still trying to decide on braces versus aligners, make an appointment with Supreme Dentistry. Our orthodontic services will support your teeth straightening journey and improve your oral hygiene at the same time. Contact us at 844.966.2333