Daily Cavity PreventionNot all cavity prevention and treatment needs to be handled in a dentist’s office. There are many different things you can do at home daily to prevent cavities. General oral hygiene habits are great to keep on a schedule for the overall health of your mouth, but there is more to consider to keep the entire mouth as healthy as possible.
- Diet considerations
- Brushing teeth twice daily
- Flossing at least once a day
- Mouthwash with fluoride
General Dentistry Treatments for Cavity PreventionYour dentist at Supreme Dentistry can help prevent cavities in several ways:
- Fluoride treatments: There are different fluoride treatments available in general dentistry practices to help protect the enamel of teeth from cavities. A dentist can provide supplemental fluoride to accompany the fluoride in community water supplies, in toothpaste, in the coating of floss, and mouthwash. Fluoride can also be administered directly to the teeth via a coating, foam, varnish, or gel. These are either rinsed off or left to soak into the surface of the tooth itself, strengthening the enamel to better prevent cavities from forming.
- Cleanings: Cleanings are ideally scheduled twice a year to allow dental professionals to remove hard tartar, reach out-of-view plaque build-ups between molars or behind teeth, and clean stains that regular brushing can’t lift. These deep cleans provide teeth with a fresh start to maintain complete oral health with the most efficient results.
- Sealants: Sealants are painted onto the surface of the teeth, primarily molars where 90% of cavities occur, to help keep the weak points of the enamel-safe from decay and the development of cavities. While extremely effective for years at a time, they’re not as common as other techniques. Asking a dentist about this treatment may be an excellent choice for preventing cavities.