Many Americans struggle with stained, discolored, or unsightly smiles due to many different influences in everyday life. While it can be difficult to keep up with the level of oral hygiene required to overcome some of the impacts that diet, smoking, and genetics may have on teeth. Tooth discoloration, no matter what, can take a huge toll on one’s self-esteem. When searching for cosmetic dentistry in Texas
, Supreme Dentistry has all the answers to the questions about how to get rid of stained teeth.
Your Cosmetic Dental Options
The different processes for cosmetic dental options can be very similar in steps and pricing. It’s likely the following steps will be taken when performing a teeth whitening procedure:
- Documenting the current shade of the teeth – This allows the dentist to pay attention to where the level of whitening is at and how long to go, or how far the procedure needs to be taken.
- Polishing – A gentle pumice removes plaque, debris, and surface stains. This step ensures that the whitening product has the best chance to adhere to the tooth’s surface.
- Isolating the soft surfaces of the mouth – Using gauze, retractors for the cheek, tongue, gums, and other barriers, the dentist or dental assistant will isolate the gums and soft tissues from the procedure’s potentially intense whitening agents and lights.
- The bleaching agent – Some chemicals commonly used when whitening teeth in a professional setting are hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. These will be applied to the teeth to begin the process of whitening.
- Curing and activating – A laser or LED light will be shone directly onto the teeth for thirty to sixty minutes to activate and cure the product onto the surface of the teeth. The bleaching agent may be reapplied throughout the procedure.
- Rinse – The teeth are rinsed of the bleaching and whitening agents to finish the procedure. For some, sensitivity can be a side effect of teeth whitening. This can be relieved with a fluoride application by the dentist or a gel for take-home use to ease sensitivity.
Some procedures provide immediate results with as little as one session. Laser whitening provides the quickest results but is more expensive and causes the greatest sensitivity. A dentist will discuss the client’s goals while prioritizing the health of teeth overall.
Some Alternative Whitening Options
LED whitening, aka Zoom whitening, is a less intense cosmetic dental option for those combatting tooth discoloration. Since it is less intense, it can take more time to reach the desired effect but is less likely to cause side effects and a lower price tag attached to it. Finding a dentist who could provide a take-home application to help maintain results is possible, but this isn’t always available. Building up treatment towards a final, bright smile is the best way to implement specific teeth whitening procedure.
If the primary concern with teeth whitening is the cost, professional bleaching at-home products are available through a dentist. After setting two to three appointments to take time to discuss needs and expectations with teeth whitening procedures, it is possible to get a whiter smile at home, either during the day or overnight. A dentist can suggest many kits and products that keep teeth and gums healthy and safe while still achieving cosmetic dental goals.
Discover How Supreme Dentistry Can Help
If learning how to get rid of stained teeth is your next dental endeavor, Supreme Dentistry has the answers, professionalism, and expertise required to provide cosmetic brilliance for any smile. We offer extensive cosmetic services from regular teeth cleanings to teeth whitening. Contact us at 844.966.2333
to make an appointment.